Information for Donor Advisors
Donors with donor-advised funds at the CFNRV may recommend grants through the annual Responsive Grant Program, a competitive application process. As we did in 2020, we are once again awarding only operating support grants of up to $4,000 and using the online grants catalog to enable donor advisors and members of the public to easily support these requests. Please review the information below about awarding grants this year.
Impact on Donor Advisors
Donor advisors will be able to recommend specific grants from their funds as in past years with two key changes:
- We are only awarding unrestricted operating grants again in 2021. Organizations did not submit applications for specific projects this year.
- Instead of the printed Grant Book, donors will read about organizations and make recommendations via the online grants catalog connected to the Donor Portal. The catalog includes summaries of each application. You may still request to see a .pdf of any full application by contacting the CFNRV staff at email@example.com.
The Donor Portal and Grants Catalog
The Donor Portal gives you the ability to check the balance of a fund and to see recent contributions and grants. The system also allows donor advisors to make grant recommendations using the Grant Catalog tab.
- Donors with Access to the Donor Portal: Login with your username and password and click on the Grant Catalog tab to review requests and make recommendations. See the resources below for detailed instructions and upcoming webinars. Visit the Donor Portal page should you have questions about logging in.
- Donors who do not yet have Access to the Donor Portal: To sign up for the portal complete the Donor Opt-In Form and Instructions and User Guidelines and return them to the CFNRV via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to PO Box 6009, Christiansburg, VA 24068-2009. Staff will create your account and you will receive additional login instructions via email.
We believe using the online grants catalog gives donor advisors maximum control to review and recommend grants, but we understand it is not for everyone. If you would prefer to review grants but have the CFNRV staff enter your recommendations into the online catalog, or if you would prefer to make a grant outside of the Responsive Grant Program to a qualified charity of your choice, please contact us at email@example.com.
Resources for Making Grants in 2021
- Overview of Your Granting Options:
- Signing up for the Donor Portal:
- Instructions for Using the Grants Catalog
Making Grants Outside of the Responsive Grant Program
Donor advisors may choose to award grants to specific, qualified charitable organizations at any time during the year using a Nonbinding Request Form. Simply complete the form and submit it to the CFNRV. Staff will complete due diligence to ensure the organization is eligible for funding and cut a check. To ensure your grant is awarded in 2021, please submit your form to the CFNRV by November 30th by emailing it to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailing to PO Box 6009, Christiansburg, VA 24068-2009.