Information for Donor Advisors
Donors with donor-advised funds at the CFNRV may recommend grants through the annual Responsive Grant Program, a competitive application process. We are once again awarding only operating support grants of up to $4,000. We will also use the online grants catalog to enable donor advisors and members of the public to easily support these requests. Please review the information below about awarding grants this year. Have additional questions or need more information? Please contact us at 540-381-8999 or email@example.com.
Impact on Donor Advisors
Donor advisors will be able to recommend specific grants from their funds as in past years.
- We are only awarding unrestricted operating grants in 2023. Organizations will not need to submit applications for specific projects.
- Instead of the printed Grant Book, donors will read about organizations and make recommendations via the online grants catalog connected to the Donor Portal. The catalog includes summaries of each application. You may still request to see a PDF of any full application by contacting the CFNRV staff.
The Donor Portal and Grants Catalog
The Donor Portal gives you the ability to check the balance of a fund and to see recent contributions and grants. The system also allows donor advisors to make grant recommendations using the Grant Catalog tab.
- Donors with access to the Donor Portal: Login with your username and password and click on the Grant Catalog tab to review requests and make recommendations. See the resources below for detailed instructions and upcoming webinars. Visit the Donor Portal page should you have questions about logging in.
- Donors who do not yet have access to the Donor Portal: To sign up for the portal complete the Donor Opt-In Form and Instructions and User Guidelines and return them to the CFNRV via email or by mail to P.O. Box 6009, Christiansburg, VA 24068-2009. Staff will create your account and you will receive additional login instructions via email.
We believe using the online grants catalog gives donor advisors maximum control to review and recommend grants, but we understand it is not for everyone. If you would prefer to review grants but have the CFNRV staff enter your recommendations into the online catalog, or if you would prefer to make a grant outside of the Responsive Grant Program to a qualified nonprofit of your choice, please contact us.
Resources for Making Grants in 2023
- Overview of Your Granting Options:
- Signing up for the Donor Portal:
- Instructions for Using the Grants Catalog
Making Grants Outside of the Responsive Grant Program
Donor advisors may choose to award grants to specific, qualified charitable organizations at any time during the year using a Nonbinding Request Form. Simply complete the form and submit it to the CFNRV. Staff will complete due diligence to ensure the organization is eligible for funding and cut a check. To ensure your grant is awarded in the calendar year, please submit your form to the CFNRV by November 30 by emailing it or mailing to P.O. Box 6009, Christiansburg, VA 24068-2009.