Starting a Fund
Becoming a Donor
Denise Blakeney, Ann Goette and Trish Muldoon show their support for the Giles Fund.
Establishing a fund at the Community Foundation allows you to receive the simplicity and tax advantages of a public charity combined with the personal recognition, involvement and flexibility of a private foundation all while meeting your specific charitable desires. You gain access to the highest level of strategic thinking on ways to meet community challenges to help make your contributions as effective as possible. Starting a fund with us is:
A fund can be established with a simple governing document developed with the foundation's knowledgeable staff. Giving should warm your heart, not burden you with tax complications and ongoing administrative details. You can establish a charitable fund without having to cope with the complexities of setting up a special-purpose nonprofit corporation.
We take pride in our ability to customize services to meet your charitable objectives. You may establish a fund that supports charitable organizations or programs you care about, the community's greatest areas of need, or a broad field of interest. You may also contribute to an existing fund or make an unrestricted gift that our Board of Directors will invest in the community on your behalf.
We are dedicated to ensuring that your charitable giving is as effective as possible. If your fund operated independently and had to recreate our services on its own, the price tag would be prohibitive. But your fund will share the costs of a knowledgeable staff, enjoy excellent financial management and benefit from a closely monitored investment strategy.
An important part of our work is building a permanent collection of endowed funds for our community. Our Board of Directors ensures that these funds will grow in perpetuity and will continue to carry out the charitable objectives of the donors who established them.
If you have questions about becoming a donor that have not been answered in this section, please click here to Contact Us for more information.
Establishing a Fund
Joe and Margot Thompson, founding donors of the NRV Dental Benevolence Fund
It is easy to establish your own named charitable fund. Working with a member of our staff, and your financial advisor if you choose, you will take these simple steps:
- First, determine your charitable purpose or intent.
- Select the type of charitable fund that best supports your purpose. Our staff will outline your options and discuss advantages of each.
- Complete a simple governing document. Our staff will help you to complete a document that makes your intentions clear.
- Select a name for your fund. You can use your name, that of a family member, the name of a favorite cause, or choose a name that allows you to remain anonymous.
- Depending on the type of fund you establish, you may designate current fund advisors such as yourself and spouse, and successor advisors such as your children. This information will be included in your governing document.
- Make an establishing gift. There are multiple ways to give to a fund. Our staff will outline these options with you.
- Receive a tax deduction at the time the fund is established and when additional contributions are made to the fund.
Enjoy giving through your fund. Once your fund is established you can:
- Add to the fund at any time in any dollar amount.
- Specify how grant disbursements are to be acknowledged whether in the name of the fund or anonymously.
- If you establish a donor advised fund you may recommend distributions to charities, locally or throughout the United States.
If you have questions about establishing a fund that have not been answered in this section, please click here to Contact Us for more information.