A record-breaking year
GiveLocalNRV is a virtual fundraising platform offered all year to nonprofits serving the New River Valley. The signature event for this initiative is our annual giving day.
For the 2023 event, it was our 10th anniversary of the giving day and our community showed up in a huge way, raising a whooping $921,648 from 3,329 donors.
Winners of the 2023 Grants & Prizes
Early Giving Superstar Grant ($1,500)
Organization that raises the most money during the early giving period (June 1 to June 28 at noon)
- Brock Hughes Free Clinic
Most Money Raised ($2,000 each)
Organization size divided into large, medium, and small categories based on the size of each organization’s operating budget
- Large: Springhouse
- Medium: Floyd Center for the Arts
- Small: NRV Leading Lights
Most Unique Donors ($2,000 each)
Organization size divided into large, medium, and small categories based on the size of each organization’s operating budget.
- Large: St. John Neumann Academy
- Medium: Calfee Community & Cultural Center
- Small: New River Historical/Wilderness Road Regional Museum
Power Hours ($750 each)
Most unique donors during a specific one-hour period.
- 12 – 1 p.m.: Calfee Community and Cultural Center
- 4 – 5 p.m.: St. John Neumann Academy
- 8 – 9 p.m.: Children’s Advocacy Center of the New River Valley
- 5 – 6 a.m.: Literacy Volunteers of the New River Valley
- 8 – 9 am.: Giles County Christian Service Mission
- 11 a.m. – 12 p.m.: NRV Academy of Dance
Golden Tickets ($500 each)
Random drawing during a specific one-hour period.
- 3 – 4 p.m.: Literacy Volunteers of the New River Valley
- 7 – 8 p.m.: Blacksburg Farmers Market
- 7 – 8 a.m.: Montgomery County Christmas Store
- 10 – 11 a.m.: New River Community Action
Organization that raises the most money raised using peer-to-peer fundraising tools.
- Montgomery Museum of Art & History
Superstars ($1,500 each)
Awarded to the two organizations that best embody the spirit of GiveLocalNRV as decided by the CFNRV.
- June Bug Center
- Montgomery County Emergency Assistance Program
Farthest Donor ($500)
Geographically farthest from the CFNRV office at 1900 Kraft Dr in Blacksburg.
- Springhouse (donation from Perth, Australia)
Most money raised using the Text-to-Give tool.
- Giles County Christian Service Mission
Best Short Video & Buzz4Good episode
Winners will be announced later this July.
About the event
Since 2014, Giving Day has raised more than $2.6 million for local nonprofits. For 24 hours during this annual online event, donors can give a minimum of $5 to the organization or fund of their choice. The CFNRV broadly promotes Giving Day and individual nonprofit organizations are responsible for promoting their particular profile pages. Early giving for the event will kick off on June 1. Support your favorite organization with a donation at givelocalnrv.org.
To incentivize participation, the CFNRV offers grants and prizes to organizations on Giving Day based on the amount of money they raise, the number of unique donors to their page, and more. This year, we’ll be giving away $25,000 in grants and prizes plus a tv episode of Buzz4Good, which airs weekly on Blue Ridge PBS.
For our 10th anniversary of the GiveLocalNRV giving day, we have 115 organizations registered to participate!
Ways to get involved
There are plenty of ways to get involved with GiveLocalNRV. Need more information? Contact Lindsey Gleason at firstname.lastname@example.org or 540-381-8999.
Are you participating in Giving Day 2023? Whether you’ve participated in GiveLocalNRV previously or this will be your first year, we ask that you register your organization each year. Registration closed on May 25, 2023.
- See how early giving is going on the GiveLocalNRV homepage.
- View information on this year’s grants and prizes as well as rules for participation.
- Find resources on this page to help make your giving day efforts more successful.
- Get your questions answered on this Nonprofit Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page.
Donors or individuals who want to help their favorite cause
Search and discover amazing causes in the New River Valley and make your donation today! This is your “one-stop-shop” to donate to multiple organizations at once with the shopping cart feature. Looking to get involved and spread the word about GiveLocalNRV? Check out the website and share your favorite organization’s profile! The more views and attention your favorite organization receives, the more donations will follow.
Consider hosting a percentage day/night/week for a giving campaign. We also have sponsorship opportunities available. Your sponsorship allows the CFNRV to give out grants during the Giving Day.
Use the media toolkit to find out more about the campaign and how you can get involved to help us spread the word.